Monday, September 1, 2008

Crystal red shrimps (CRS)

Mr. Hisayasu Suzuki of Japan discovered a red form of Caridina sp. among the usual black versions in 1996. He named this red mutation version of the bee shrimps as "crystal red shrimps". Breeders all around the world try to breed crystal red shrimps with a larger patch of white and more intense red.

These beautiful shrimps will grow up to 2.5cm in length and prefers to live in tank where the temperatures is not more than 27degC. My friend, Kent, is a breeder of crystal red shrimps and has a lot of knowledge in keeping them. He told me crystal red shrimps will breed if the water temperature is less than 25degC and the water condition is good.

A couple of months back, he gave me more than 10 crystal red shrimps and to my surprise, I found about 15 shrimplets in my tank last month. By chance, a pair of my crystal red shrimps manage to breed. It is fun to see such cute little crystal red shrimplets. They indirectly delay my plan to setup a new aquascape as I cannot tear down my tank now.

No comments: